Q2 Tracker Link

(Cochrane Alberta Canada) Follow recent flights at: https://aprs.fi/cgmbk *******************Also YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfxJXIwvmfNlNF3gwplFw7Q

Friday, May 1, 2020

Electronic Ignition Full Power Test

May 1,  Today I got the plane out and ran the engine up to warm it up.  Now I wanted to test the maximum continuous RPM  power.  The engine performed great as I went through about 5 rounds getting the RPM up to maximum.   I am seeing a increase of the static rpm of 100, now registering 3000 rpm when leaned.  Everything went great and I am very happy with the performance.

One of the major reasons for installing the CPI was to get rid of excessive static noise in my headset which had been proved coming from the magnetos.  A test of the radio is now crystal clear with absolutely no static background noise at all.  Yahooo.

May 2/20,   Yesterday I noticed the first engine start of the day did not start quite as well as day one.    I noticed a slight bit of kickback if the engine did not fire  on first cranking attempt.  After a call to SDS Ignitions I was informed of a "Start retard" option in the programming which retards the startup timing so the engine fires after TDC.  The original default setting sets startup firing at 5 degrees after TDC,   A call to SDS  informed I should change the starting spark for 10 degrees after TDC because I have a small wood prop with low inertia compared to a metal prop on a Lycoming.  This fixed my problem of kickback on startup.

Next is installing the Emergency battery a small 5 ah sealed cell and a dual voltmeter for testing each battery.


No comments:

Post a Comment