Q2 Tracker Link

(Cochrane Alberta Canada) Follow recent flights at: https://aprs.fi/cgmbk

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Left Elevator Construction


November 19 2015
The centre control stick has been installed with the 2 push pull tubes to the elevator torque tube control arms.  I have made an adjuster on the left elevator control rod to use as a minor trim adjustment.  This will be useful when flying solo or adjusted when flying with two on board (second photo).   the elevator trim wheel has been hooked up and set in the neutral position.  This is where it will stay since the plane has a t-tail trim which will be used for all trim requirements.All nuts. bolts and safety wires have been installed on any control surface connections.  Getting head and shoulders under the panel is tricky at the best of times.  The removable panel has been fastened down.

The placement of the VG's are marked on the canard and will be the next and final item to complete.  Some more run ups and taxi tests are still required and will be completed when weather is better.  Flight circuits will probably be postponed to the spring until warmer air and no snow is present.

November 18 2015
Elevator has been custom fitted to the left elevator pivot points on the canard shear web.



November 14 2015
Elevator is now complete, filled an primed. 


November 6 2015
New outboard pivot fixture installed. Outboard elevator end gap filler streamline fillet installed, faired, glassed and filled.





October 30 2015
Glass covered, ends filled 3/8" with micro, pivot points installed.

September 19 2015
The wings and the control surfaces are all a solid foam core cut out with a "Hotwire tool" and then are surface filled with micro epoxy to surface fill the pores of the foam.  At the same time the surface is then covered with fiberglass cloth of the type and number of layers as documented in the plans.  In the case of the elevators, ailerons and rudder this is 2 layers of uni cloth at 45 degrees to the span. All control surfaces have a torque tube running the full length of the forward end, a foam nose cap is installed back onto the leading edge in the case of the elevators. I have used blue billet foam which is the same density weight as the original foam used.  The blue billet foam is stiffer and denser than the original foam documented in the plans.
Below are the templates cut out of 3/16" MDF board after tracing out from the plans.  The nose section was cut completely off at the very end of the hotwire cutting process.


Below are the elevators cut out with a hotwire cutting tool, they are made in two sections and then bonded together end to end with micro.  The torque tube bonded in and the nose cone bonded on last. Minimal excess micro is used so there is not much squeeze out as it is hard to sand down.   The foam cut out with the hotwire tool has the dimensions in almost perfect shape with very light long board sanding required.














No comments:

Post a Comment